The playability ratings are used to determine how playable the games are if you don't know Japanese.
These ratings are all based on not knowing any Japanese at all. If you know even a little bit of Japanese it will be a easier to play games with text.
Availability of translation patches or FAQs is taken into consideration, so games with translations or FAQs will get a higher rating. Check comments and links for more info.
70% is the cutoff point for games to count as playable. This means that it is possible to complete the game without knowing any Japanese. For games at 70% you have to be prepared to do a bit of work reading FAQs to figure everything out though.
Most games are between 90%-70%, very few are below 50%.
How good or bad a game is should not affect the playability rating. A very bad game can be easy to play if it has very little text, and a great game can have a lot of text that makes it hard to play. In the same way, if a game has a lot of text that shouldn't affect the score, it might still be a great game, it just gets a low playbility rating.
- Bold ratings means the game has been tested, non-bold ratings is a simple estimate based on genre and available information.
- (100%) or (100% English Available) ratings are added to games that has been released in English outside Japan. The main rating always refer to the Japanese version of the game.
- 100% Completely playable, all text is in English.
English included in the game.
Complete translation patch.
- 90% Easily playable with minimal effort.
Only a few menus in Japanese, game got none or very little text.
Should be possible to play without an FAQ, maybe some minimal trial and error on the menus.
Genres: Puzzle, action, racing.
- 80% Playable but some effort required to figure out things that are explained in-game.
Some possibly important information in the game is in Japanese, or several menus is in Japanese.
In-game hints/story are missed out, but these are not important to the gameplay.
Need to read FAQ, or do a bit of trial and error to figure it out.
Genres: Action or puzzle with unusual gameplay, hints or story, RPG with partial translation patch.
- 70% Playable but quite a bit of work required.
Quite a lot of text that needs to be understood and is part of the gameplay.
Need to refer to FAQ several times, or do quite a lot of trial and error.
Genres: RPG or strategy game with complete FAQ available.
- 60% Probably playable if you put a lot of effort in figuring out what to do.
A lot of text that needs to be understood, and it vital to the gameplay.
FAQ incomplete, or the game has too much text for FAQ to be helpful, quite a lot of trial and error required.
Genres: RPG, adventure or strategy game that's either light on text but lacks complete FAQ, or has FAQ but are very text heavy.
- 50% Possibly playable but the amount of work required might be more than it's worth.
A lot of essential text that needs to be understood.
No FAQ available, or too much text for FAQ to help much, a lot of trial and error required.
Genre: Typical RPG without FAQ
- 40% Not playable without more work than play.
Very text heavy or very unusual gameplay.
No FAQ available, or FAQ don't help much anyway.
Genres: RPG, adventure or strategy game that's text heavy or unusual.
- 30% Not playable unless you're desperate to figure it out.
Seriously text heavy or extremely unusual gameplay.
No FAQ available, or FAQ won't help unless you know Japanese.
Genres: Story adventure or strategy game that's very text heavy or unusual.
- 20% Unplayable, unless pressing buttons aimlessly counts as playing.
So text heavy that it's almost pointless to even try.
No FAQ available, trial and error won't get you very far.
Genres: Illustrated story, educational or quiz game.
- 10% Unplayable.
So text heavy that it's pointless to even try.
No FAQ available, try and you shall fail.
Genres: Story, educational or quiz game.
- 0% Unplayable unless you learn Japanese first.
Game consists of nothing but Japanese text.
No FAQ available, don't try.
Genres: Text only story, educational or quiz game.